Well, first I have to apologize for slacking on my blogging adventure. It's been very busy and I just haven't gotten around to it. So I will try to briefly describe the last 2 months for you.
The first two months had me doing a variety of things from attempting to write an emergency management plan, working a contract transition and assisting with getting some firefighter equipment shipped in here from Kandahar.
The last two months have been pretty busy. In March we were in need of someone to step up and escort gravel trucks to and fro. So I did that for a month and ended escorting 1225 gravels trucks, I can even estimate how many cubic meters of gravel we dumped but it is a lot. I was also in charge of running the MVACIS (x-ray system at the main ECP). Well our SFS folks decided that because we had recently gotten some escort personnel from another base that the two SFS personnel who were trained on the MVACIS no longer needed to stay at the gate. hmmm.. Guess who is the LAST one trained.. YUP..So eventually my duty became the MVACIS and that is it. SO everyday I goto the main ECP and run the xray system. I have accomplished over 2300 vehicle scans thus far.. More to come..
We are currently waiting to get a new unit on the ground so I can have the MVACIS training personnel come back out and train some people. But as of right now it is just me. It's not hard but sitting out there in the SUN with very little shade is grueling some days now that it is getting hot.
During the last month I had heard a great little rumor that our in theater E-9 had sent two firefighters from Al Udied to assist at the Fire Academy in Kabul (where i should have been), it was a secret and never would have known about it had a LtCol not slipped up and mentioned it on one of his one day visits. So I confirmed it, I am over it now, but man it really set me off. Our leadership here never got an e-mail or so much as a request to release me back to Kabul. Needless to say I am in the SAME unit but our personnel in somewhere thought it was more beneficial to bring personnel from another AOR, another unit to assist at the Fire Academy. I guess it was just par for the course. When I mentioned to the two star general that I won one battle and got my replacement deviated to goto Kabul, he said "I will have you in Kabul tomorrow if you want".. Awesome. but I declined.. That was right after he gave me his coin LOL.. The ONLY coin given out that day hehehehe..
So now I have approximately 60 days left, If all goes according to our force movement database I will have ANOTHER short tour on my records and I should be home mid July (?????). Right now I still continue to run the MVACIS until we figure out who is going to taken ownership.
Since I have been here I have read a LOT of books, complete two college classes, gained a bunch of Italian friend (who have already re-deployed home) and on the day that we lost another friend (RIP MIke) I tore my calf. I eventually took that as a sign from Mike (who lost his left leg a year ago) to suck it up and don't take things for granted. I got the message Mike, and I am healing now.
All in all, I have had lots of communication with Tammy and the boys thanks to MAGIC JACK (oh man, need to pay for another year before my debit card expires ) and the internet.
Well I will try and keep you updated as I navigate these next 60 or so days. I can't wait to see what kind of adventures they hold. Since there hasn't been a single month the same and things remain so dynamic here, we'll see what happens.
Talk to you all soon
Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment